Meet your new favorite weeknight meal – Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta. Super simple & quick to whip up, it’s also deliciously rich without leaving you feeling heavy. Why not try it tonight?
Why choose store-bought vegan pasta sauce when you can easily make your very own from the comfort of your kitchen? With minimal ingredients required, you’ll have a tasty homemade meal on your plate in less than 20 minutes!
This Vegan Red Pepper Pasta recipe is one of my favorite plant-based pasta sauces to make… right up there with my Walnut Sauce Pasta, or my Pumpkin Mac’n Cheeze!
Make a batch of creamy red pepper pasta sauce a couple of days ahead of time or even double the ingredients and store half in the freezer for 1-2 months, readily accessible to you whenever you get the craving for a delicious bowl of creamy vegan red pepper pasta.
This article may contain affiliate links. See our full disclosure here.
What You’ll Need
- Soaked cashews (preferably overnight, or in boiling water for 30 minutes)
- Cloves garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Nutritional yeast
- Vegan butter
- Store-bought roasted red bell pepper
- Pasta of your choice
How to Make Vegan Roasted Pepper Pasta
Pop the pasta into a pot and cook it per the packet instructions while you prepare the sauce.
Add the soaked cashews, roasted red bell peppers, garlic, water, salt, and nutritional yeast to a blender. Blend until smooth & creamy.
Heat a pot over low-medium heat, and add the vegan butter. Once it’s melted, add the cornflour and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until it has darkened a little.
Slowly add your blended cream mixture to the butter & flour, whisking as you go.
Add the black pepper and continue to whisk as the cream comes to a simmer. Cook for around 3-5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened, then remove from the heat.
Serve with your cooked pasta.
Is This Creamy Red Pepper Pasta Sauce Healthy?
Absolutely! Firstly, consider the fact that any homemade pasta sauce or condiment is a way better option for you and your family since you have total control over what ingredients get added without any artificial additives and preservatives!
The bell pepper pasta sauce is also full of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats thanks to the blended cashew nuts and vitamin-C rich red bell pepper.
While I haven’t specified what type of pasta to use in this recipe, I usually always opt for whole wheat pasta and recommend that you do too! It’s full of good fiber, minerals, and vitamins and helps you feel fuller for longer.
How Long Will This Roasted Pepper Pasta Sauce Last?
Roasted pepper pasta sauce will last for up to 1 week when stored in an airtight container or glass jar in the refrigerator.
You also have the option of freezing this creamy red pepper pasta sauce for pasta for up to 2 months – either in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat on medium-low heat before combining with a fresh batch of whole wheat pasta or veggie noodles.
Variations on This Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- For a more creamy vegan red pepper pasta sauce, consider using plant-based milk instead of the water or use a combination of water and non-dairy milk. The plant milk will help to thicken the sauce beautifully for an extra luxurious sauce. With that in mind, you may find that you need less cornstarch.
- You could make a creamy rose sauce with this bell pepper pasta sauce as a base just by adding in some tomato sauce when blending the ingredients.
- Add in some spinach to the blender with the other ingredients for a red pepper and spinach sauce.
- Garnish this vegan roasted red pepper pasta with some chopped cashews, chopped fresh herbs, and grated vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, or vegan bacon bits!
- For a kick of heat to this pasta, add in some cayenne pepper when blending the ingredients.
Tips for Making Bell Pepper Pasta Sauce
- If you’re watching your carbs, consider serving this vegan red pepper pasta over spiralized zucchini or other varieties of veggie noodles.
- Don’t forget to soak your cashews before making this recipe. The soaking will help promote a smoother sauce consistency and texture. Simply add them to a bowl of water the night before making this vegan red pepper pasta.
- To get a super silky smooth consistency and texture, use a high speed blender like a Vitamix. Whatever you choose should have sufficient power to eradicate any remaining chunks. A food processor will also work.
Other Delicious Vegan Pasta Meals to Try:
Creamy Vegan Red Pepper Pasta
A creamy & comforting weeknight meal that's ready in under 20 minutes. Try this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta tonight!
- 16oz pasta of your choice
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pop the pasta into a pot and cook it per the packet instructions while you prepare the sauce.
- Add the soaked cashews, roasted red bell peppers, garlic, water, salt, and nutritional yeast to a blender. Blend until smooth & creamy.
- Heat a pot over low-medium heat, and add the vegan butter. Once it's melted, add the cornflour and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until it has darkened a little.
- Slowly add your blended cream mixture to the butter & flour, whisking as you go.
- Add the black pepper and continue to whisk as the cream comes to a simmer. Cook for around 3-5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened, then remove from the heat.
- Serve with your cooked pasta.
Cashews are best soaked overnight for 6-8 hours. But in a pinch, you can soak them in boiling water for 30 minutes instead.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whole Foods Market, Organic Rigatoni, 16 oz
Dr. Berg's Nutritional Yeast Tablets – Non-Fortified Natural B12 Added - All 8 B Vitamin Complex – No Gluten Non-GMO No Synthetics - 270 Vegan Tablets Dietary Supplements
Roasted Red Peppers by Botticelli, 12oz Jars (Pack of 2) - Gluten-Free - Fire Roasted Sweet Red Peppers
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 176mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information should be considered as an estimation only.