This Tuscan White Bean Skillet with Kale is a quick and easy 30-minute vegan dinner! It’s packed with flavor and nutrients, but so simple to make. You likely have most ingredients in your pantry right now!
I love recipes that are easy, don’t dirty every dish in the house, use ingredients I likely have already, AND taste amazing.
This Tuscan White Bean Skillet with Kale is all of these things and more.
It’s one of those “accidentally vegan” recipes, where you’re not making any substitutions with special ingredients but rather enjoying whole foods that all just happen to be vegan.
Which is really to say, even the non-vegans in your life will enjoy this!
This cannellini beans and kale recipe is made with pantry staple ingredients – canned beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth, simple seasonings.
It’s one of my go-to “Oh crap, I forgot to go grocery shopping!” recipes.
Bonus: This Tuscan beans and kale skillet recipe is gluten-free too!
The sauteed kale and white beans dish is an example of how you can take one “fancier” ingredient (in this case, sun-dried tomatoes and/or artichokes), pair it with a bunch of basic, cheap ingredients and end up with a total masterpiece!
The first time I tried this recipe, I was honestly delighted at how much flavor there was, just from a few simple ingredients and spices.
If you’re looking for a new go-to, busy weeknight dinner, definitely get this one a try!
Why You’ll Love This Vegan White Bean and Kale Skillet
- Easy 30-minute meal
- Only one skillet for cooking – aka hardly any dishes!
- Customizable to your favorite ingredients and flavors
- Kale & Beans make for a healthy & balanced dinner
- No side dishes necessary!
Tuscan Bean and Kale Skillet Ingredients
- Olive oil – or avocado oil
- White onion – diced
- Oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes – drained and chopped
- Crushed garlic
- White wine – substitute vegetable broth if preferred
- Cannellini beans
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes (or regular canned tomatoes)
- Artichoke hearts – drained and chopped or whole for presentation
- Italian spices
- Kale – chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Crusty bread – optional, for serving
How to Make Tuscan White Bean Skillet with Kale
Warm olive or avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add your onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for an additional minute.
Deglaze the pan with your choice of white wine or vegetable broth. I love the flavor the white wine adds to this dish.
Add beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and Italian spices to the skillet. Stir until combined.
Cover the pan and cook for 7-8 more minutes.
While this is cooking, turn on your oven and start warming the crusty bread.
Uncover the skillet and add the kale, stirring until it wilts. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
I serve with warm crusty bread and vegan butter.
Tips for the Best Tuscan White Beans
- You can replace the kale with spinach but wait until the end to stir it in. Spinach wilts much faster and burns easier than kale.
- Keep an eye on the garlic to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- While it’s tempting to dump everything into the skillet at once, sauteeing the aromatics first really bumps up the flavor profile.
You can enjoy this vegan white bean skillet as a complete meal itself or, as I like to, you can serve with a slice of crusty bread. I like to warm the bread up on the stove – you could even make fresh garlic bread.
You can also serve it in smaller portions as a healthy side dish. I like to do this with any leftovers!
How to Freeze and Store Vegan White Bean Skillet
Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Sometimes I think flavor is even better the second day! As it has had time to intensify.
To freeze sauteed kale and white beans, I recommend doing it in individual serving sizes. I like to freeze them flat in ziploc bags for the easiest storage.
Other Easy Vegan Dinners
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes drained and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian spices
- 2 cups kale - washed and chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Crusty bread for serving
- Warm olive or avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add your onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for an additional minute.
- Deglaze the pan with your choice of white wine or vegetable broth. I love the flavor the white wine adds to this dish.
- Add beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and Italian spices to the skillet. Stir until combined.
- Cover the pan and cook for 7-8 more minutes.
- While this is cooking, turn on your oven and start warming the crusty bread.
- Uncover the skillet and add the kale, stirring until it wilts. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- I serve with warm crusty bread and vegan butter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1015mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 17gSugar: 5gProtein: 20g
Nutrition information should be considered as an estimation only.