Have a hankering for something fresh, flavorsome, and healthy? These vegan Mexican lettuce wraps fit the bill perfectly! They’re creamy, crunchy, and super quick and easy to make. Let’s get started!
Mexican vegan wraps are an incredibly delicious low-carb version of a traditional taco.
The wholesome and nutritious filling includes creamy vegan mayonnaise and lime juice, so there’s no need to add a separate dressing.
Add to, take away, or substitute the filling ingredients to suit your taste preferences. But we promise, they taste great as they are!
What You’ll Need
Here’s what we used to make the best vegetarian lettuce wraps. You can mix up these ingredients to your liking, and sub out anything you don’t care for. You’ll find the measurements of each ingredient in the recipe card below, but it’s not an exact science.
- Lettuce leaves
- Black beans
- Canned sweet corn
- Red onion
- Vegan Mayonnaise
- Olive oil
How to Make These Vegan Lettuce Wraps
Wash your lettuce leaves, being careful not to tear them.
Chop up the tomatoes, onion and avocado.
Place all of the ingredients except for the lettuce leaves and cilantro into a bowl. Stir to combine.
Spoon the mixture into your lettuce leaves, and sprinkle the chopped cilantro on top.
Can You Make These Vegan Mexican Wraps Ahead of Time?
You can make the wrap filling a day or two ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, simply wash and pat dry your lettuce, assemble and serve.
I think it goes without saying that you can’t assemble these wraps entirely with the lettuce component ahead of time otherwise the filling will turn your crisp lettuce into a soggy mess that won’t resemble anything like what a wrap ought to.
If you need a wrap you can make ahead of time, perhaps opt for these vegan veggie wraps instead.
What Kind of Lettuce Works Best for These Raw Vegan Lettuce Wraps?
I haven’t specified a particular type of lettuce for making these vegan Mexican wraps but the most popular types for this kind of recipe include Boston or Bibb lettuce, Romaine or Iceberg lettuce.
Whatever you choose, look for lettuce that has a good leaf size for holding a generous amount of filling.
Can I Store Leftover Vegan Avocado Lettuce Wraps
These vegan Mexican lettuce wraps are best enjoyed freshly made. You can’t store fully assembled lettuce wraps as the lettuce will wilt from the creamy filling.
If you do have leftovers, discard the lettuce and store the filling in an airtight container for use within the following 1-2 days in fresh lettuce wraps or in other vegan dishes.
Are These Easy Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps Low-Carb?
These Mexican lettuce wraps are definitely on the low-carb side when compared to a traditional taco or veggie wrap.
With that said, keep in mind that these Mexican vegan wraps still contain ingredients that have a moderate to high level of carbs such as the beans. As a whole, this recipe is a low-carb option for anyone craving a vegan taco but it may not fit into a keto diet depending on what else has already been eaten that day.
Tips for Making the Best Vegan Lettuce Wraps
- For a kick of heat, sprinkle in some chili flakes.
- Freshly grated vegan cheese is a delicious topping idea for these easy vegetarian lettuce wraps.
- This recipe makes 12 wraps which translates to 4 wraps per serving. You could easily double this recipe if feeding a larger crowd. Likewise, halve the ingredients if you only wish to serve 1-2 people.
- I’ve used black beans for this dish but you could use another favorite bean or a combination of beans.
- Wash your lettuce well to eliminate any possible grit remaining and pat very gently with a paper towel.
- It’s really important that all of your ingredients are as fresh as possible for these lettuce wraps. The lettuce must be crisp, and the filling will benefit from fresh flavors such as the juice of a fresh lime instead of using bottle lime juice, as an example.
Other Delicious Healthy Vegan Meal Ideas:
Healthy Mexican Lettuce Wraps (GF)
Have a hankering for something fresh, flavorsome, and healthy? These vegan Mexican lettuce wraps fit the bill perfectly!
- 12 lettuce leaves
- ½ can black beans
- ½ can sweet corn
- ½ red onion
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tomatoes
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half lime
- ½ tsp salt
- A few cilantro leaves, chopped
- Wash your lettuce leaves, being careful not to tear them.
- Chop up the tomatoes, onion and avocado.
- Place all of the ingredients except for the lettuce leaves and cilantro into a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into your lettuce leaves, and sprinkle the chopped cilantro on top.
You can also sprinkle chilli flakes on top if you like a bit of spice.
Bibb, romaine or Boston lettuce leaves are best for this recipe.
This recipe should make around 12 wraps.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 592mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 10gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information should be considered as an estimation only.