Considering traditional mayonnaise is made predominantly of egg yolk, the mad culinary scientists working for the best vegan mayo brands have done an amazing job of replicating that smooth, creamy condiment.
In fact, I’d challenge any meat-eater to tell the difference between any of the products we’re going to discuss in this article and standard mayonnaise.
As is the case with most veganized foodstuffs, vegan mayos also tend to be a little healthier and nutritious than the real thing, which begs the question…why are we still harming animals when we can have the same flavor, texture, appearance, and fewer health problems?
Why not try one of these awesome cruelty-free mayos that you can enjoy with a clean conscience both physically and morally?
Top 8 Vegan Mayonnaise Brands
We’ve rounded up the very best egg free mayo brands around, to save you the hassle of trawling through the supermarket aisles and scanning every ingredient label.
So good, vegan shops often face shortages of the stuff, Just Mayo is more than just a mere substitute, it’s a creation in of itself.
Replacing artificial flavorings with lemon juice, Just Mayo has a tastefully tangy flavor profile with subtle undertones of onion and garlic. I love to pair it with these Vegan Breaded Mushrooms.
Featuring a minuscule 75g of sodium, this kosher vegan mayo is completely GMO-free, soy-free and palm oil-free, and it goes a treat in a vegan BLT.
CLOSE SECOND – FOLLOW YOUR HEART ORIGINAL VEGENAISE
A close runner up, in my opinion, this gluten-free, kosher, non-GMO, eggless mayonnaise brands offering is creamy and delicious, and as it’s made from expeller-pressed oil, it only contains 70mg of sodium and 0.5g of saturated fats.
While I prefer ‘Just Mayo’ for in-your-face mayo applications such as dips, Follow Your Heart Veganaise is my go-to for a delicious, Scooby-Doo-esque sandwich.
The eagle-eyed amongst you will have picked up on the significance of the ‘Original’ section in the title, and yes, you are correct.
Veganaise comes in many other forms including soy-free, low-fat, pesto, sriracha, and my particular favorite, roasted garlic.
- The package dimension of the product is 3.9"L x 4"W x 6.6"H
- The package weight of the product is 2.7 pounds
- Country of origin is United States
- Follow Your Heart
Those looking for plant-based mayo brands with no palm oil, but an authentic mayo taste, will love this delicious offering from Plant Perfect.
Just slightly thinner than some of the other vegan mayonnaise brands listed, this is a great one for dressings, dips, or to whip up a quick vegan tzatziki.
GMO-free and bursting with flavor, you’d be hard pressed to tell this one is vegan.
- Same great taste, texture and flavor without the high cholesterol or allergies to eggs.
- Created by Chefs who put flavor and functionality first.
- No Palm Oil
Made from non-GMO ingredients, Hellmann’s Vegan Alternative to Mayonnaise is better for you than traditional mayo full of bleached egg yolks, but unfortunately, it’s not quite as healthy as some of the other options on this list.
Containing 120mg of sodium and 1.5g of saturated fat per serving, it’s not really an everyday sort of treat, but you’ll be happy to hear that it also contains 6g of polyunsaturated and 2g of monounsaturated fats as well. These are good fats that can lower the risk of heart attacks and strokes and lower cholesterol.
Some vegans may not enjoy the fact that Hellmann’s are such a large purveyor of non-vegan products. You can make your own mind up about how much this matters, but my 2 cents is that buying vegan products from non-vegan companies can be a force for good.
It shows these companies that there is potential in veganism, and if they keep creating delicious alternatives, the more vegan numbers will grow, and eventually, the popularity of their non-vegan products will fade.
- Hellmann's Vegan Dressing & Spread is our plant-based alternative to the traditional Hellmann's mayonnaise – we’ve removed the eggs, not what you love about mayonnaise
- Hellmann's Vegan Dressing & Spread has the same great taste as Hellmann's Real mayonnaise
- This Vegan Mayo Dressing & Spread plant-based alternative to mayonnaise contains no artificial flavors
- Hellmann's Vegan Dressing & Spread is gluten free and cholesterol free (contains 8g of fat per serving)
- Hellmann's Vegan Dressing & Spread is a delicious plant-based alternative to mayonnaise that is perfect for sandwiches, salads, veggie burgers and other simple meals
Made from an ingenious blend of avocado oil and aquafaba, this Chosen Foods Mayonnaise is an innovative and delicious mayo substitute.
For the uninitiated, aquafaba is the liquid that beans (most often chickpeas) are stored in when they come canned or in jars. It sounds like a weird addition, but it acts like an egg-white when whipped, and makes an excellent addition to vegan mayo.
Vegans have been saving their aquafaba for years. It sucks up some of the nutrients from the beans and can be used for loads of cool stuff. I personally use it to make aioli, meringues, and Italian amaretti cookies.
With 1.5g of saturated fats per serving, it’s best as an every-now-and-again affair, but boy are they some delicious now and agains.
- COLD WEATHER WARNING: Our Mayos and Dressings are at risk of natural separation if exposed to freezing temperatures during transit. While safe to eat, it may not look or taste as intended. You may wish to delay ordering until temperatures are warmer.
- 100% Pure: Chosen Foods Classic Vegan Avocado Oil Mayo is 100% avocado oil-based, never diluted, delicious, and full of good fats from avocados ripened to perfection.
- Good Fats from Avocados: At Chosen Foods we are all-in on avocados! A wholesome, delicious superfood. Avocados are one of the world’s most nourishing nutrition-packed foods, thanks to its antioxidants from Vitamin E and monosaturated fats.
- Simple Ingredients: Our classic vegan mayo is made with 100% pure avocado oil, wholesome, and delicious for a healthy eating lifestyle, as well as Paleo and Keto friendly. Certified non-GMO, kosher, and gluten, dairy, soy and canola oil free.
- Versatile: Endless clean eating opportunities. Spread on your favorite sandwiches, burgers, or wraps. Whip up a coleslaw or potato salad. Mix it up and use as a base for your favorite zesty dip, marinade, or salad dressing.
Prying people away from traditional mayo for a while now, this Earth Balance Vegan Mayo is an epic eggless alternative that’s fantastic for those with allergies, intolerances, or those just trying to live a healthy lifestyle.
Much like Vegannaise, this mayo is made with expeller-pressed oil and contains 2.5g of polyunsaturated and 6g of monounsaturated healthy fats. In addition, you’re only facing 0.5g of saturated fat and 70mg of sodium per serving.
Free from soy, preservatives, gluten, and GMOs, EBM proves you don’t have to drop mayo for a good diet.
This vegan mayo from Primal Kitchen is also made with Avocado Oil which means it comes with the added benefit of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated, heart-healthy fats.
Avocado Oil also has high levels of Lutein, an antioxidant that’s shown to be beneficial for eye health.
Primal Kitchen vegan mayo tastes convincingly good, goes well with everything, is perfect for those following a Keto diet, is gluten-free, and non-GMO – all good things in our books!
If my usual go-to vegan mayo brands are unavailable, Sir Kensington’s is a solid backup!
Another user of the ever-versatile aquafaba, Sir Kensington completely omits processed soy, pea protein, and starch from their recipe, amounting in a mayo suitable for all.
The not-so-secret ingredient is sunflower oil, which has one of the highest good fat concentrations out of all cooking oils.
- Cold weather warning: During the winter product can separate if they freeze in transit. While safe to eat it will not look or taste appealing. You may wish to delay ordering until temps are warmer
- Sir Kensington’s Vegan Mayo is the first vegan mayonnaise made with aquafaba - the perfect natural egg alternative made from the water left over after cooking chickpeas
- Sir Kensington’s Classic Vegan Mayo eliminates compromise on texture and taste for an experience even mayonnaise lovers love
- Our plant based Vegan Mayo is made from the highest quality Non- GMO Project Verified ingredients like 100% Sunflower Oil and Organic Aquafaba. And it is shelf stable
- All Sir Kensington's condiments and dressings including Vegan Mayo are proudly Non- GMO Project Verified Gluten Free and Paleo Diet Friendly
There you have it, vegan friends, eight of the best mayonnaise substitutes you can buy.
Now you can stick to your vegan ways and still enjoy the deliciousness that is plant-based mayonnaise.
No eggs, no death, no cruelty, just tasty, tasty snacks!