Try this vegan baked oatmeal as a delicious, hearty, and healthy family breakfast or group brunch. It’ll keep you well-nourished and full for hours!
I tend to get in a bit of a rut when it comes to breakfast ideas. I’ll get stuck on one thing and have that for weeks – sometimes months – on end! In summer it’s often granola with yoghurt or a fruity parfait, but in winter my go-to is breakfast is oatmeal.
This vegan baked oats recipe mixes things up a bit! Instead of your usual creamy, milky texture, baking the oatmeal results in a delicious slightly crispy texture that’s oh-so-good… Even my fussy 7yo loves it!
Baked apple oatmeal is also an amazing option if you’re making breakfast or brunch for a group. It’s easy to make, takes few ingredients, and it’s a winner with all diets – including gluten-free. And as an added bonus, it’ll make your house smell divine!
My Healthy Baked Oatmeal Recipe
The recipe, as detailed below, is just one way you can serve this delicious vegan breakfast idea. But I encourage you to add or swap out some ingredients to make it yours.
Use seasonal produce to change it throughout the year, add in your favorite nuts, or a sprinkling of coconut – the options are endless!
This baked oats recipe is obviously vegan, dairy-free and egg-free. But it’s also gluten-free (just be sure to buy gluten-free oats), and if you want to make it refined sugar-free, you can omit the brown sugar for added maple syrup or apple sauce.
If you’re serving someone with a nut allergy, perhaps try adding seeds such as hemp or sunflower, instead of the pecans.
Apple Baked Oatmeal Ingredients
- Rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
- Pecan nuts (or your favorite nuts)
- Baking powder
- Almond Milk (or preferred plant-based milk)
- Apple Sauce or Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Flaxseed Meal
- Vegan Butter
- Sweet Apples
- Brown Sugar
How to Make Vegan Baked Apple Oatmeal
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease an oven-safe baking dish (approx 8×8″)
Mix the almond milk with a tablespoon of flaxseed meal in a bowl, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Add the baking powder, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract, apple sauce (or maple syrup), vegan butter and sugar to the bowl. Stir to combine.
Then add in your rolled oats and chopped pecans and stir again.
Chop up your apples into bite-sized pieces and add them into the bowl, stirring to make sure everything is well mixed.
Transfer the mixture into your greased baking dish and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The oats should be turning golden brown around the edges and the oats well set.
Let it cool for around 15 minutes before serving.
How to Serve Vegan Baked Oatmeal
You can cut the baked oats into squares and enjoy it on its own, or drizzle it with a little maple syrup, a sprinkle of cinnamon, or a dollop of coconut yogurt.
How to Store Cinnamon Baked Oats
Baked oatmeal makes a great freezer meal. Simply freeze individual slices in an airtight container and reheat them in the microwave when you’re looking for a quick & easy breakfast.
You can also store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Variations on this Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Recipe
As mentioned earlier, this baked vegan oatmeal recipe is highly adaptable to whatever fruit is in season, and whatever nuts and seeds you have on hand. Try a few of these variations:
- Use fresh or frozen blueberries instead of apples
- Use strawberries and banana for a fruitier, summery baked oatmeal
- Use chopped walnuts instead of pecans
- Do away with nuts altogether and add in hemp seeds and/or pumpkin seeds instead
- Add in raisins if you like a little added sweetness
Other Vegan Breakfast Ideas to try:
Vegan Baked Oatmeal with Apples and Pecans
A hearty & healthy breakfast, this vegan baked oatmeal is sure to please a crowd!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts, chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup apple sauce or maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 2 sweet apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease an oven-safe baking dish (approx 8×8″)
- Mix the almond milk with a tablespoon of flaxseed meal in a bowl, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add your baking powder, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract, apple sauce (or maple syrup), vegan butter and sugar to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Then add in your rolled oats and chopped pecans and stir again.
- Chop up your apples into bite-sized pieces and add them into the bowl, stirring to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Transfer the mixture into your greased baking dish and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The oats should be turning golden brown around the edges and the oats well set.
- Let it cool for around 15 minutes before serving.
Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free oats
Make it nut-free: Use seeds such as hemp or pumpkin instead of pecans
Make it refined sugar-free: Use maple syrup instead of brown sugar
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information should be considered as an estimation only.
Wednesday 25th of May 2022
Yum! Tried making this one for my kids and they love it! Definitely recommended. Surprisingly perfect combination too for my hemp coffee.