This Simple Vegan French Toast Recipe is the plant-based version of your favorite weekend breakfast! With just a handful of ingredients and 4 steps, this eggless French toast is the perfect weekend breakfast or enjoy anytime for brunch, lunch or dinner!
French Toast has long been one of my favorite weekend breakfast treats. When I made the switch to vegan, I never even considered vegan French Toast as a possibility. After all, the main ingredients are definitely not vegan – eggs, milk, cream.
Luckily, I was completely wrong! Eggless French Toast is actually SUPER easy to make – just as easy, if not more, than the traditional version!
This is the best vegan French toast recipe I’ve tried. It starts with just the basics – bread, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla and adds in a few secret ingredients.
The secrets? Nutritional yeast, cornstarch, and a flax seed egg.
This flax seed French toast has, in my opinion, a texture closer to traditional French toast than those recipes made with chia seeds. It helps to thicken the mixture and gives the toast that iconic “eggy” feeling.
On the other hand, nutritional yeast gives it an “eggy” flavor and overall essence of being just like your traditional French toast. The cornstarch helps create a crisp texture once cooked.
Put it all together and the result is not only the best plant-based French toast you’ll ever try but quite possibly the best French toast ever!
Why You’ll Love This Eggless French Toast
- An easy breakfast that feels indulgent
- Uses ingredients you likely already have in your pantry
- Slightly sweet but not overly so
- Crisp outside
- Warm cinnamon-vanilla flavor
- Only 5 steps – including eating!
Vegan French Toast Ingredients
There aren’t any complicated or hard to find ingredients in this flax egg French toast recipe, you’re likely to have everything you need sitting in your pantry already.
- Almond milk
- Nutritional yeast
- Brown sugar
- Flaxseed meal
- Vanilla extract
How To Make Plant Based French Toast
Making vegan cinnamon French toast couldn’t be easier! You’ll only need a bowl, whisk, and a skillet to create this recipe at home.
- Mix together the ground flax seeds and water to create your vegan egg. Let it sit for a couple of minutes until it becomes gelatinous.
- Add all the ingredients (incl your flax egg) except bread into a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
3. Dip a piece of bread in the liquid mixture, turning it to coat both sides evenly. Don’t keep it there too long or it could break.
4. Fry the bread on both sides on medium heat with a drizzle of oil or a small dollop of vegan butter.
5. Serve with maple syrup, fruit or whipped vegan cream on top & enjoy while warm.
Tips for The Best Vegan French Toast
- Use thick bread like ciabatta, sourdough, or your favorite thick-sliced bread from the store. Avoid thin-sliced sandwich bread as you may end up with soggy toast!
- Day-old stale bread is perfect for this plant-based French toast.
- Cornstarch is a SUPER important ingredient as it helps crisp up the outside of your toast.
- Keep a close eye on the heat of the burner to avoid burning your French toast.
What to Serve with Non-Dairy French Toast
- Drizzle with maple syrup or agave
- Top with fresh strawberries, blueberries, banana slices, or your favorite fruit
- Add some vegan whipped cream (coconut is super yummy)
Other Easy Vegan Breakfast Ideas
- 1 cup almond milk (oat or soy work well too)
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds / flaxseed meal + 2.5 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 slices thick bread
- Oil or vegan butter for frying.
- Add all the ingredients except bread into a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Dip a piece of bread in the liquid mixture, turning it to coat both sides evenly. Don’t keep them there very long or they could break.
- Fry the bread on both sides on medium heat with a drizzle of oil or a small dollop of vegan butter.
- Serve with maple syrup, fruit or whipped vegan cream on top & enjoy while warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 345mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information should be considered as an estimation only.