This Easy Vegan Mug Brownie recipe is one of my favorite single-serving vegan desserts for when you don’t want to make an entire batch of brownies in order to get your chocolate fix!
This vegan cup brownie is fudgy in flavor and texture, with melted chocolate chips and chopped nuts scattered throughout the batter.
Top it off with additional chocolate chips, berries, or a drizzle of peanut butter before cooking in the microwave for a super quick and easy indulgent treat that’s completely vegan and a healthier dessert option too!
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Yields: 1 mug brownie
Vegan Brownie Mug Cake Ingredients
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp oil (sunflower, canola, coconut)
- 2 tbsp almond milk (soy milk would work too)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
How to Make Chocolate Brownie Mug Cake
Place all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder) into your mug or a large ramekin. Whisk them together until combined.
Add the almond milk, oil and vanilla extract and then stir again well.
Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts and stir once more.
Finally, pop it in the microwave for 60 seconds at high power. Check it; if the brownie is still wet, bake it for another 30 seconds.
Usually, the mug cakes remain just a bit raw in the centre after the first 60 seconds, if that’s the case, you can stop; if not, it could end up overcooked and dry.
Why make a brownie in a mug?
This vegan brownie in a mug is a single serving brownie dessert, cooked in the microwave for 60-90 minutes. Being vegan-friendly, it’s an eggless mug brownie that’s also free of dairy while loaded with fudgy chocolate goodness for anyone looking for a healthier dessert that will satisfy those chocolate cravings!
Can I make this eggless mug brownie in the oven?
Absolutely! While I love the convenience of whipping up this eggless microwave brownie in the microwave, there’s nothing stopping you from baking it instead in the oven.
You’ll need to assemble the ingredients in an oven-safe dish in similar size to a mug such as a 3.5 inch ramekin and bake your vegan brownie for 8-12 minutes at 350℉ (175C). Allow the baked brownie to cool for about 10 minutes before eating it since it’s going to be extremely hot straight out of the oven!
What toppings can I add to this vegan cup brownie?
If you want an indulgent egg free mug brownie, consider adding the following toppings to the brownie batter before cooking in the microwave:
- Extra chocolate chips – place some additional chocolate chips on the top of your brownie batter just before cooking in the microwave. You’ll end up with a layer of melted chocolate topping for an additional boost of chocolate flavor as you dig into the mug brownie.
- Whole raspberries or sliced strawberries – add some berries (either fresh for frozen) as a topping. That tart flavor from raspberries and strawberries pair beautifully with chocolate.
- Mini marshmallows – the melted marshmallow texture against the dark chocolate brownie is both delicious and fun! You can buy vegan mini marshmallows from Amazon, here.
- Peanut butter (smooth or crunchy) – Add a drizzle (about 1-2 teaspoons) of your favorite peanut butter over the mug brownie batter. Everyone knows that chocolate and peanut butter are a dynamite combination!
Apart from adding various toppings to this vegan brownie in a mug prior to cooking, you could also serve your cooked mug brownie with a dollop of whipped coconut cream or a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream!
Variations on this easy vegan microwave brownie
The great thing about this vegan microwave brownie is its versatility! Here are some ways that you can easily adapt this vegan mug brownie recipe:
- Add about ¼ teaspoon of ground coffee to the dry ingredients. The addition of coffee in baked cakes and brownies is known for intensifying the chocolate flavor.
- Make a s’mores single serving vegan brownie by adding mini marshmallows (just make sure they’re vegan!) into the brownie batter with the chocolate chips as well as topping the batter with additional marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Transform your mug brownie into a vegan mug blondie by simply omitting the cocoa powder from the dry ingredients. You could then still use dark chocolate chips or swap them out for white chocolate chips or even caramel or butterscotch chips.
- Go ahead and use different chopped nuts in your brownie batter. If you’ve opted to top your brownie batter with drizzled peanut butter then a delicious option is to include chopped peanuts into the batter for a Reese’s peanut butter mug brownie.
- Use shredded coconut instead of chocolate chips.
Tips for making the best brownie mug cake
- While this vegan brownie cake tastes the best within an hour from making, you could prepare the brownie batter the night or day before and store the batter in the mug, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator.
- When selecting your mug for this easy vegan mug cake, it’s best to use one that’s wide and short-ish. This will allow the mug brownie to rise higher and will assist with even cooking throughout the brownie.
- It’s important to mix the ingredients really well in the mug so that you don’t end up with pockets of dry ingredients in the cooked brownie. Scrape the sides and bottom of your mug to loosen and incorporate any dry ingredients that may have stuck to the inside of the mug.
- Since microwaves vary in terms of heat, you may need to adjust the cooking time of this recipe slightly. You don’t want to overcook the mug brownie as it will turn out dry. If in doubt, reduce the cooking time and then check the brownie batter with a toothpick inserted into the middle – if it’s still wet in the center then continue cooking for a bit.
- Allowing your dairy free mug cake to cool for about 10 minutes will help the brownie to set and will safeguard against you burning your tongue – trust me, it’s going to be rather hot straight out of the microwave!
Other Easy Vegan Treats to Try:
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon oil (sunflower, canola, coconut)
- 2 Tablespoons almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon chopped walnuts
- Place all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder) in a mug or large ramekin. Whisk them together until combined.
- Add the almond milk, oil and vanilla extract, then stir again.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts and stir again.
- Finally, pop it into the microwave for 60 seconds at high power.
- Check the mug brownie; if it is still wet, bake it for another 30 seconds.
Usually, the brownies remain just a bit raw in the centre after the first 60 seconds, and that’s a clue to stop; if not, it could end up overcooked and dry.
Be creative about mug cakes, you can change the chips for shredded coconut or blueberries, and the results are delicious too.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 444Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 3gSugar: 31gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information should be considered as an estimation only.