This Banana Almond Milk Ice Cream is super creamy, super easy to make, and super healthy! Plus, it only takes 10 minutes to whip up. What are you waiting for!
If you have 10 minutes to spare and are interested in enjoying a healthy dessert option for yourself or the family, then this homemade almond milk ice cream is a must-try. It’s loved by both kids and adults alike and can be stored for up to a month in the freezer.
The overripe bananas provide a natural sweetness while the almond butter and milk add to the creaminess. And, of course, the chopped almonds with chocolate chips add some interesting texture to this vegan banana ice cream and an extra level of decadence!
IS THIS BANANA ALMOND MILK ICE CREAM A HEALTHY “NICE CREAM”?
Yes, you could also refer to this recipe as “nice cream”. Nice cream is a term used for ice cream recipes that are made predominantly of vegan whole foods such as fruits, dairy-free milk and natural flavorings.
If you look closely at the ingredients list of this healthy almond milk ice cream, you’ll see that all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips (unless you buy raw), are considered vegan whole foods.
Nice cream is a much healthier way to enjoy ice cream whether you’re vegan or just want to improve the quality of what you eat.
VEGAN BANANA ICE CREAM INGREDIENTS
You only need three ingredients to make this delicious vegan almond ice cream. You’ll find the exact measurements in the recipe card below.
- Very ripe bananas – frozen beforehand for at least 3 hours.
- Almond milk – you can sub this out for oat milk, soy milk, or coconut milk if you prefer.
- Almond butter – adds a lovely nutty flavor and helps with the consistency. You can use other nut butters if you prefer.
- Chopped almonds – an optional extra for serving.
- Vegan dark chocolate chips – another optional extra. Can be subbed for cacao nibs or a drizzle of dark chocolate sauce!
DO I HAVE TO USE RIPE BANANAS FOR THIS VEGAN ALMOND MILK ICE CREAM RECIPE?
Yes, it’s really important that you do use very ripe bananas for this vegan ice cream and here’s why: Bananas that are still yellow or visibly underripe don’t contain the same amount of natural sweetness that ripe bananas do which you need for this recipe. In addition to the sweetness, ripe bananas help to make any vegan ice cream super creamy in texture and consistency.
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN MY BANANAS ARE RIPE?
Ripe bananas are typically much sweeter in smell, much softer than ripe bananas, and will have a good amount of black spots or markings on the banana peel.
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND MILK ICE CREAM
If your banana isn’t already frozen, cut it up and pop it into the freezer for at least 3 hours.
Pop all your ingredients into a food processor or blender and process on high for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides every so often.
If it’s too thick, add a little more almond milk.
Serve immediately with chopped almonds and chocolate chips.
WHAT IF I DON’T OWN A FOOD PROCESSOR OR BLENDER?
If you don’t own a food processor or blender, you’ll be happy to learn that you can still make this ice cream with an immersion (stick) blender. These are really cheap to pick up online, or you could try your local thrift store.
While I’ve found that a food processor does an excellent job of creating a super smooth and creamy ice cream consistency, if you have a stick blender, you should be able to create this vegan ice cream just fine – it may just take a little more arm work!
WAYS TO SERVE VEGAN BANANA ICE CREAM
Serve scoops of this delicious healthy almond milk ice cream In a bowl or in a sugar cone with some tasty toppings such as chopped nuts, chocolate chips/cacao nibs, or crumbled vegan brownie pieces!
You could even use this ice cream recipe as a base for thick dairy-free milkshakes or protein smoothies with the addition of some plant-based protein powder.
HOW SHOULD I STORE HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK ICE CREAM?
This banana almond milk ice cream can be stored just like traditional dairy-based ice cream in the freezer, however, the shelf life will differ. While traditional ice cream can be stored for up to 3 months due to its high-fat content and hefty amounts of sugar used, this healthy dairy-free banana almond milk ice cream will only last for up to 1 month in the freezer.
While it may have a shorter shelf life than traditional ice cream, it’s a far healthier option, meaning that you can enjoy it guilt-free on a more regular basis!
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS EASY ALMOND MILK ICE CREAM
- You could easily make banana macadamia milk ice cream instead by using macadamia nut butter, macadamia milk and chopped macadamia nuts instead of the almond ingredients.
- Like most dairy-free ice cream recipes, this vegan ice cream is best served and enjoyed once it’s been sitting at room temperature for about 15 minutes or so. You’ll find that this “sitting time” really promotes the creaminess in the ice cream.
- If you don’t have almond butter, you can use peanut butter instead. I tend to find that peanut butter has a stronger flavor than almond butter so just keep this in mind if you do use this substitution.
- For a more decadent version of this ice cream, consider making a chocolate banana almond milk ice cream by adding ½ – 1 tablespoons of cacao powder or cocoa powder.
- Cacao nibs can be used in place of the chocolate chips if you prefer.
- If you have any bananas that you stored in the freezer for making banana bread, those would be great for this recipe. Otherwise, you can also use fresh ripe bananas, but then you’ll need to first freeze them for a few hours before making your ice cream.
Other Quick & Easy Vegan Desserts to Try:
- Vegan Chocolate Doughnuts
- Easy Vegan Mug Brownie
- Easy Vegan Coconut Macaroons
- Vegan Lemon Tartlets
- Vegan Rice Pudding
- 3 overripe bananas, frozen
- 4 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- If your banana isn't already frozen, cut it up and pop it into the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Pop all your ingredients into the food processor or blender and process on high for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides every so often.
- If it's too thick, add a little more almond milk.
- Serve immediately with chopped almonds and chocolate chips.
You can store this banana almond ice cream in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to a month. When ready to eat, take it out of the freezer and let it thaw for around 15 minutes first.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 21mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information should be considered as an estimation only.