If you’re looking for some snack-worthy vegan crackers that are also low carb and grain-free, then these Vegan Gluten-Free Crackers are just the thing!
These almond flour crackers are thin and crispy, requiring only 6 ingredients – most of which are likely to be pantry staples.
This vegan crackers recipe is ideal for hosting parties alongside some favorite dips, although I’ve been known to dig into them as a tasty and wholesome midweek snack as well!
Make sure that any leftover almond meal crackers are stored in a dry, cool place in an airtight container. That being said, I highly doubt you will have to store any at all – they’re that good, and totally guilt-free!
Ingredients for Almond Meal Crackers
This easy vegan crackers recipe requires just 6 ingredients (plus water), and you’re more than likely to have everything you need on hand already!
- Almond flour – you can make your own with a high-power blender or food processor.
- Faxseed egg (ground flaxseeds + water) – to act as the glue to hold everything together.
- Garlic powder – adds a lovely flavor
- Dried oregano – gives them a savory twist
- Nutritional yeast – for a hint of cheesy flavor
Can I use a Different Flour for this Vegan Crackers Recipe?
While I haven’t tried it for these crackers, I’m confident that another plant-based flour, like chickpea flour, would also work when making a batch of these vegan cheese crackers.
Of course, you could always use regular flour if you don’t require your crackers to be gluten-free, so that’s another option.
How to Make Vegan Cheese Crackers
Preheat oven to 375F / 190C
Make your flaxseed egg by mixing together 1 tbsp flaxseed meal & 2 tbsp water. Let it sit for a few minutes to thicken.
Add all of the ingredients to a big bowl and mix together well until an even dough is formed.
Pour your dough mixture out onto a large piece of parchment paper. Then add another large piece on top (to stop it from sticking to your rolling pin).
Roll the mixture flat with your rolling pin, until it’s around a ¼ inch thick.
Optional: Sprinkle a little extra oregano on top of the dough.
Cut the dough into cracker shapes. The dough yields around 30 crackers if cut into small squares as shown.
Once cut, separate the crackers a little so that they won’t stick to each other once cooked.
Transfer the crackers with the parchment paper onto a baking tray.
Bake them for 10-15 minutes or until they are a little golden.
What to Serve With your Almond Flour Cheese Crackers
These almond flour cheese crackers are the perfect snack to curb any hunger pangs during the week although they make great party snacks too.
How Should I Store the Crackers?
Once these vegan cheese crackers are completely cool, transfer them to an airtight container to be stored at room temperature for up to 5-7 days. After that, your crackers are likely to start becoming stale.
Variations to this Vegan Almond Flour Crackers Recipe
- Seeds – add your favorite seeds (sunflower, sesame, chia) or a combination of seeds into your cracker dough for seeded crackers.
- Herbs – while I’ve used dried oregano in these crackers, feel free to add your favorite herbs for a varied cracker recipe.
- Seasoning and Spice – stick to a simple seasoning with salt or add your favorite blend or spice.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Vegan Cheese Crackers
- I’ve used a mixing bowl and have mixed the cracker dough ingredients by hand but you could use a food processor if you prefer.
- These crackers won’t be affected if you omit the nutritional yeast but this is the ingredient which gives the crackers their cheesy taste and is also a very good boost of nutrition!
- You could add the flattened and sliced crackers to the freezer for a short time prior to baking. This will help you separate the crackers from each other so that they don’t stick together while baking and crisp evenly on all sides. You may just need to add an extra 5 minutes to the overall baking time if they’ve been chilled.
- When slicing the crackers, try to create uniform-sized crackers so that they all cook evenly at the same time.
- If you want to have some fun with these crackers, consider using small cookie cutters to give your crackers different shapes. Similar to cookie dough, any leftover cracker dough can be rolled and flattened for additional cookie cutter shapes without any of the cracker dough going to waste.
Other Easy Vegan Savory Snacks
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 tbsp water, let sit 5 minutes)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano (optional extra for sprinkling on top)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375F / 190C
- Make your flaxseed egg by mixing together the flaxseed meal & water. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Add all of the ingredients to a big bowl and mix together well until an even dough is formed.
- Pour your dough mixture out onto a large piece of parchment paper. Then add another large piece on top (to stop it from sticking to your rolling pin.
- Roll the mixture flat with your rolling pin, until it’s around a ¼ inch thick.
- Optional: Sprinkle a little extra oregano on top of the dough.
- Cut the dough into cracker shapes. The dough yields around 30 crackers if cut into small squares as shown.
- Once cut, separate the crackers a little so that they won’t stick to each other once cooked.
- Transfer the crackers with the parchment paper onto a baking tray.
- Bake them for 10-15 minutes or until they are a little golden.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information should be considered as an estimation only.