In the mood for crispy, lightly spiced potatoes? This smashed red potatoes recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! Pop some in the oven the next time you want a delicious vegan side dish or appetizer and you won’t look back!
Golden and crispy smashed red skin potatoes are an absolute mouth-watering addition to holiday meals, family dinners, Sunday lunch, or even for a special breakfast and brunch!
Once boiled, simply add your small red potatoes to a baking sheet, smash them and then coat them lightly with a mixture of oil and spices.
It’s really as simple as that but totally addictive and ridiculously easy to whip up!
What Are Smashed Potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are boiled potatoes that get “smashed” into patty-like forms using a hard flat surface of some kind or perhaps even your hand (great for releasing tension, by the way!!). These flattened potatoes are then lightly coated with a mix of oil and spices and baked to crispy perfection!
As you can see, smashed potatoes are quite different to mashed potatoes. Whoever originally thought to prepare potatoes this way is anybody’s guess but I’m grateful all the same since they’re so delicious!
What You’ll Need
Potatoes, olive oil, and a few key spices are all you need to create these easy smashed potatoes!
- Small red potatoes
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make BBQ Smashed Potatoes
Wash your potatoes (leave the skins intact!) and pop them in a pot of lightly salted water. Bring to the boil, then simmer the potatoes until fork-tender.
Pre-heat your oven to 425F (215C) and prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
Mix together your olive oil and spices in a small bowl and set aside.
Drain the potatoes and place them on your baking tray.
Using a flat glass, or similar, press down on each potato to “smash” it.
Brush each potato with the oil and spice mixture.
Bake potatoes for 20-25 minutes or until they’ve reached your desired crispiness.
How to Store Any Leftover Crispy Smashed Red Potatoes
You can store these easy smashed potatoes just as you would any other baked potato, hash brown, or potato bake/casserole. Once completely cool, place your crispy smashed red potatoes in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can reheat leftover stored smashed potatoes in the oven, coating them with a little extra oil to help them gain back some of their crispy exterior.
I don’t recommend freezing baked red smashed potatoes. The potato tends to get a strange texture to it from freezing, similar to stale French fries.
What Size Potatoes to Use for This Vegan Smashed Potatoes Recipe
I’ve used small red potatoes for this recipe. The size of the potato is important in my opinion. Small potatoes will crisp really well in the oven compared to larger potatoes.
The size of potatoes I recommend are usually available in red or yellow – either will do.
Can you add Toppings to These Baked Red Smashed Potatoes?
Yes, definitely! Make your easy smashed potatoes into a gourmet side dish by adding some vegan cheese on top, freshly chopped herbs, guacamole, or your favorite sauce – like BBQ, or my homemade ketchup!
Tips for Making Vegan Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- You can line your baking tray with parchment paper for easy cleanup afterwards or you can just oil the surface of your baking sheet – the latter usually results in even crispier smashed potatoes which may very well be worth any extra cleaning up!
- You should give the potatoes a decent amount of space between each other to breathe. This will help them to crisp evenly on all edges. If you need to, use two baking sheets.
- You can use a flat surface like the bottom of a glass jar to smash your potatoes. While a potato masher may also work, just be careful that you don’t end up mashing the potatoes instead of smashing them!
Other Delicious Vegan Side Dishes:
- 2 lbs (900g) small red potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Wash your potatoes (leave the skins intact!) and pop them in a pot of lightly salted water. Bring to the boil, then simmer the potatoes until fork-tender (around 15 minutes).
- Pre-heat your oven to 425F (215C) and prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix together your olive oil and spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once cooked, drain the potatoes and place them on your baking tray. Using a flat glass, or similar, press down on each potato to “smash” it.
- Brush each potato with the oil and spice mixture.
- Bake potatoes for 20-25 minutes or until they’ve reached your desired crispiness.
You don't need to make this recipe with red skin potatoes! You can use any potatoes you have on hand.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 319mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information should be considered as an estimation only.